LOS ANGELES • Three top producers on The Ellen DeGeneres Show (2003 to present) have exited the programme after an internal investigation into complaints of bullying, racism and sexual misconduct against them.
On Monday, Warner Bros Television, the studio behind the syndicated daytime talk show, confirmed that it had parted ways with three of the show's producers: Mr Ed Glavin, an executive producer; Mr Jonathan Norman, a co-executive producer; and Mr Kevin Leman, the head writer.
The departures followed weeks of turmoil backstage that has undermined the show's public message of spreading kindness and happiness.
Reports of a hostile workplace have included criticism that DeGeneres is mean-spirited. She has also come under fire for claiming ignorance of how her show was run.
These prompted a social media campaign calling for her replacement as well as public statements of support for her from celebrities such as singer Katy Perry and actors Kevin Hart, Alec Baldwin and Ashton Kutcher.
DeGeneres spoke to the staff of her show via Zoom on Monday in what Variety said was an emotional address.
She also apologised to her staff during the video conference, her second apology in recent weeks.
Variety cited multiple sources as saying that DeGeneres told employees she was "not perfect" and that it was "heartbreaking" to read allegations about the atmosphere on the set.
The moves came during an investigation of the show's workplace, which is still being conducted. The review was prompted by an investigative article published last month by BuzzFeed News describing a "toxic work culture" on the show.
The former employees who shared their accounts laid most of the blame for their bad experiences on Mr Glavin and two other top producers, Ms Mary Connelly and Mr Andy Lassner.
Warner Bros said on Monday that Ms Connelly and Mr Lassner would remain in their roles.
In a second BuzzFeed News investigation,Read More – Source