Power and their passion outlast Cats

Port Adelaide proved their ability to match it with the competition's cream after bursting flag-favourite Geelong's bubble.

Coming off a disappointing fourth-quarter meltdown against Fremantle, the Power – who earlier this season thumped reigning premier West Coast in Perth – were back to their giant-killing best as they leapt back into the top eight.

Port Adelaide's Charlie Dixon tackles Geelong's Mark Blicavs at Adelaide Oval.

Port Adelaide's Charlie Dixon tackles Geelong's Mark Blicavs at Adelaide Oval.Credit:AAP

Souring the Cats night further, Gary Rohan exited the contest with concussion after copping a bump from Karl Amon late in the third quarter while Tim Kelly appeared to escape injury after being crunched by Tom Jonas in the fourth term.

Geelong really let themselves down with their lethargic start, seemingly incapable of matching Port's red-hot ferocity at the contest, piloted by Scott Lycett and evergreen Travis Boak.


Following Paddy Ryder's shock omission, Lycett thrived as the sole ruckman as the Power notched the first 10 clearances of the match and the opening three goals.

Geelong's big three chipped in – a Joel Selwood clearance which led to Gary Ablett goaling on the run from a Patrick Dangerfield handpass – to get Geelong belatedly on the board late in the quarter.

Dangerfield earned a free kick for a push in the back and unleashed a 55-metre bomb as the Cats upped their work rate and wriggled their way back in the second period.

Port hit back and extended their lead back out to 19 points when Kane Farrell goaled after the half-time siren.

The Power frittered away a bunch of inside-50s to start the third stanza and were made to pay.

Kelly, worn like a glove by Dan Houston for much of the night, and Gryan Miers slotted back-to-back goals in the space of a minute.

Rhys Stanley of Geelong makes a clean break against Port Adelaide on Saturday night.

Rhys Stanley of Geelong makes a clean break against Port Adelaide on Saturday night.Credit:AAP

The visitors were suddenly re-energised, slicing the deficit to nine points at three-quarter-time, but Port had the answers in the fourth, Robbie Gray virtually rubber-stamping the victory with his second goal early in the term, leaving Geelong with too much ground to cover.

Valiant in defeat, Dangerfield couldn't make it a weekend of double celebrations, after his wife Mardi gave birth to the couple's second child, a daughter named Felicity, on Friday afternoon.
The 2016 Brownlow medallist didn't travel to Adelaide with his team-mates on Friday, instead flying over on Saturday morning.

Mother and baby are reportedly fit and healthy.

The Power needed to stand up after rolling the dice at selection following last week's fourth-quarter fade-out against Fremantle.

Veterans Justin Westhoff and Ryder, the club's previous two club champions, were dumped, as were Sam Powell-Pepper and Jarrod Lienert.

Among the replacements, Brad Ebert – donning a helmet following recent concussion issues – had some good moments linking across the half-forward line while Charlie Dixon, playing his first game in 315 days following a broken leg, provided a strong presence Read More – Source