NEW DELHI: India's Covid-19 tally zoomed past 29 lakh, a day after it crossed 28 lakh, with a single-day spike of 68,898 infections, while the recoveries have increased to 21,58,946 on Friday pushing the recovery rate to over 74 per cent.
- India recorded more than 12 lakh fresh Covid-19 cases in August, higher than in any previous month and the highest count by any country during this month.
- Nine security personnel deployed for Lalu Prasad's security tested positive for Covid. They were removed from their duties.
- Election Commission of India issues guidelines for the conduct of general elections/by-elections during Covid-19; candidates can file nomination online, people to wear face masks during election-related activities.
- Fitch Ratings expects India's electricity demand to drop by 4 per cent during the financial year ending March 2021 given the expectations of only a gradual pick-up in economic activity since pandemic-related lockdowns were relaxed in June.
- The Centre is considering initial procurement of around 50 lakh doses of Covid-19 vaccine for front-line workers, army personnel and certain other categories of individuals.
- Testing in India has steeply increased to more than 9 lakh tests per day. This is bolstered with all States/UTs testing more than 140 tests/day/million population as advised by the WHO (World Health Organisation).
- The ICMR is undertaking a study in Mumbai to evaluate whether the BCG (Bacille Calmette-Guerin) vaccine, primarily used against tuberculosis, is effective in preventing COVID-19 in the elderly population, Mumbai's civic body said on Friday.
- SC allows Jain community temples at Dadar, Byculla and Chembur in Mumbai to be opened to worshippers for last two days of Paryushan on Aug 22 & 23 to worship Tithankars while observing Centre's SOP on opening religious places.
- Normal life came to a grinding halt in Kolkata as a complete shutdown was enforced across West Bengal for the second consecutive day this week to stem the spread of Covid-19 cases, while violation of the lockdown restrictions was witnessed in some towns and rural areas in the state.
- A 107-year-old woman and her 78- year-old daughter have recovered from Covid-19 in Maharashtra, overcoming the odds of high mortality rate among elderly people.
- All offices and shops except those selling essential items will remain closed in Haryana on every Saturday and Sunday due to Covid-19
- Andhra Pradesh CM YS Jagan Mohan Reddy held a review meeting on Covid-19 situation in the state. He told officials that strength of Covid hospitals should be increased to 287 with addition of 149 more hospitals & doctors should be made available as soon as possible: CM's Office
- Hong Kong will offer free, universal testing to its residents starting September 1. The testing program, which will last a maximum of two weeks, is on a voluntary basis.
- Almost 11 per cent of Pakistanis have developed protective immunity against the novel coronavirus, according to a study conducted in 25 cities across the country.
- Read More – Source