NEW DELHI: The union government on Friday informed the Supreme Court that it has confiscated passports of 723 foreign nationals and seized identity cards of 23 Nepal nationals for taking part in Tablighi Jamaat congregation at Nizamuddin Markaz in violation of lockdown norms in the last week of March.
In an affidavit filed in the PIL of Supriya Pandita, the Centre said it has blacklisted 960 foreigners who were found to have travelled to India to take part in Tablighi Jamaat at Nizamuddin on either tourist visas or e-visas, which does not permit participation in religious activities.
"Passports of 723 accused foreigners and identity cards of 23 accused Nepal nationals have been taken into possession through seizure/handing over memos. Some of the foreign nationals were unable to provide/produce their passports. Efforts are on to account for all passports," the Centre told a bench headed by Chief Justice S A Bobde, which adjourned hearing by two weeks.
Petitioner wanted fixing of accountability on Delhi government, Delhi police and others for allowing congregation of Tablighi Jamaat at Nazamudin and the assembly of migrant workers at Anand Vihar ISBT and Gazipur border on march 28 in complete violation of lockdown, which was enforced since March 25 to completely stop human movement from one place to another.
The Centre said Delhi Police had repeatedly warned the Tablighi Jamaat at Nizamuddin against holding congregation and yet a video of their religious head Maulana Mohd Saad was found exhorting followers to defy lockdown and social distancing norms to attend religious congregation. It said that the investigations are at the concluding stage and that it would file a probe status repoRead More – Source