U.S. President Donald Trump dined with a person who has since tested positive for coronavirus, according to the White House physician.
The president came in contact with the person while hosting a Brazilian delegation at Mar-a-Lago, Navy Cdr. Sean Conley wrote in a White House memo released late Friday night. The person was seated at Trumps table with the White House delegation.
Conleys memo said the presidents interaction with the person was longer than his brief interaction with another individual who was also at the dinner and shook Trumps hand.
Trump has continued shaking hands through the coronavirus outbreak, despite warnings against doing so from health professionals.
Earlier Friday night, the Brazilian embassy in the U.S. revealed that the countrys chargé daffairs Ambassador Nestor Forster tested positive for coronavirus Friday and that he would be extending a self quarantine for a further two weeks.
Conleys memo also stated that neither Trump nor the people who have since tested positive revealed any symptoms during their interactions and that the chance of Trump being infected remained low. Conley did not recommend testing the president as a necessity.
Trump said earlier on Friday that he will “most likely” get tested for the COVID-19 coronavirus, responding to questions from reporters in the Rose Garden of the White House.
Trump said he had not experienced any symptoms of the disease, but was consulting with his doctors on whether, and when, to do so.
“I think I will do it anyway,” the president had said earlier of a possible test. “We are working out a schedule.”
The president did not commit to sharing any results.
Trumps remarks, delivered during a news conference announcing he was invoking emergency powers to combat the outbreak, came after Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said he had tested negative for the virus.
Bolsonaro disputed a media report that he initially tested positive for the virus less than a week after meeting with Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.
Rio de Janeiro-based newspaper Jornal O Dia reported that Bolsonaros initial test for the virus has come back positive, but authorities are awaiting the results of a second test Friday to confirm the diagnosis. The Brazilian president took to social media to forcefully push back on the report.
Bolsonaros son Eduardo quickly denied the diagnosis on social media and then in an interview on Fox News, but late Friday morning the Brazilian president himself posted on his social media accounts that he had tested negative for the disease.
“DONT BELIEVE IN THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA!” he wrote in Portuguese. “THEYRE THE ONES THAT NEED YOU!”
Trump confirmed in his Rose Garden briefing that Bolsonaro tested negative for coronavirus and added that members of his delegation at the Mar-a-Lago meeting had “no symptoms whatsoever.”
“We had a great meeting with the president of Brazil, Bolsonaro, great guy. Very tremendous. Hes doing a fantastic job for Brazil,” Trump said. “And, as you know, he tested negative, meaning nothing wrong this morning and we got that word, too. Because we did have dinner with him. We were sitting next to each other for a long period of time.”
Brazilian media outlets reported that Jair Bolsonaro underwent testing for the fast-spreading virus after his press secretary, who also met and dined with Trump at Mar-a-Lago over the weekend, tested positive for the disease.
Also on Friday, The Miami Herald reported that Miami Mayor Francis Suarez had tested positive for the disease after meeting with the Brazilian delegation including Bolsonaro and Wajngarten.
And the Trump Victory, the campaign fundraising operation, sent an email to some attendees of a fundraiser at Mar-a-Lago notifying them that an individual who attended the March 8 event had been diagnosed with the coronavirus. An RNC official confirmed the email, which was first reported by Maggie Haberman of the New York Times, but said that the unnamed person had no interaction with the president.
Despite his close contact with individuals who have tested positive, Trump insisted just a day earlier that he was “not concerned” about coming into contact with Wajngarten. The White House has not confirmed whether Trump has been tested for the coronavirus, although Trump said Tuesday he was open to being tested.
Earlier Friday, an Australian government minister who last week interacted with Attorney General William Barr, counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway and White House adviser Ivanka Trump announced Friday that he had tested positive for the coronavirus.
“This morning I woke up with a temperature and sore throat. I immediately contacted the Queensland Department of Health and was subsequently tested for COVID-19. I was advised by Queensland Health this afternoon that the test had returned positive,” Peter Dutton, Australias Minister for Home Affairs, said in a statement.
“It is the policy of Queensland Health that anyone who tests positive is to be admitted into hospital and I have complied with their advice. I feel fine and will provide an update in due course,” Dutton said.
Duttons statement comes after heRead More – Source