Newcastle star Kalyn Ponga denies his five-eighth experiment was a failure and remains open to being a long-term option in the halves.
But after meeting with coach Nathan Brown on Monday, Ponga will return to fullback for Sunday's match against St George Illawarra.
"Yeah, I'll probably be at the back for this weekend's game. Browny's decided to put me back there and I supported his decision," Ponga said on Monday.
The decision comes after the Knights lost two of their opening three games of the season, including last week's seven-point defeat in Canberra.
Ponga has shown glimpses of the magic that lit up the league last season but Brown is hoping a move to his old spot will provide more potency.
"Obviously I wanted to play well in that position. I still want to learn in that position. I think we'll see how this weekend goes," Ponga said.
"If it works well, then we'll continue with it."
Ponga found he was in the game more in the halves and he enjoyed the added defensive workload of playing in the front line.
"Being in the first line of defence, you're always on whereas at fullback you're back there resting every now and then. I like that part of the game," he said.
Asked whether he considered the switch to five-eighth a failure, Ponga said: "I wouldn't like to say that.
"Like I said, it's all about how I go this weekend at fullback and if it doesn't work, then I'll go back to half and try again there."
Captain Mitchell Pearce believes Ponga showed plenty of prRead More – Source