Firefighters battled to save people trapped by Thursday's blaze as it ripped through the FR Tower in the Banani commercial district. Of the 25 people who perished, seven died while jumping or trying to escape from the upper floors, Additional Deputy Commissioner Abu Bakar Siddique of the Dhaka Police told CNN.One of the dead was confirmed to be a Sri Lankan national, Dhaka Fire Department spokesperson Shajahan Sikder told CNN.The injured, who include four firefighters, were being treated at five hospitals around the city. Late on Thursday, Sikder said the fire was "put out completely" but rescue teams continued to search the building for any further victims or anyone still trapped.On Friday, firefighters attempted to trying to break into two elevators in the building to see if there are any victims inside,but by noon Sikder told CNN the search operation had been completed with no further bodies discovered. He said rescue teams were "now going to hand over the building to police and law enforcement agencies for investigation."Thick clouds of smoke billowed from the building as emergency crews struggled to douse the flames. Dramatic video footage showed firefighters rescuing people using cranes as huge crowds gathered outside.It was not known how many people were trapped inside the tower, Sikder said.The Dhaka Fire Department said 21 fire trucks and more than 100 firefighters were at the scene. Lines of ambulances were waiting to take the rescued to hospitals.
- Across Africa: South Africa’s cartoonist Zapiro honoured with top award in France
- Congress stalled Ram temple issue, Narendra Modi solved it: Amit Shah
- More rights to people after ending special status: Jammu and Kashmir administration to SC
- Government formation in last lap, NCP-Congress to talk power-sharing with Shiv Sena today
- Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong to visit South Korea on Friday