Golden Globe-winning comedian Aziz Ansari has responded to allegations of sexual misconduct following a date he had with a woman in 2017.
He addressed the claims in a statement on Sunday, in which he said he had apologised to the woman last year after she told him about her discomfort during a sexual encounter at his apartment.
He said he believed the encounter was "completely consensual".
In an interview with Babe magazine, the woman said seeing the 34-year-old Master of None actor wearing a Time's Up pin in support of the movement against sexual harassment while accepting his Golden Globe earlier this month had prompted her to come forward.
She said it "started a new fire" in her and brought back memories of the alleged assault on her by Ansari during a "violating and painful" date at his apartment.
The woman claimed the US filmmaker repeatedly ignored verbal and non-verbal cues to her discomfort during their encounter.
She said it had taken a long time to "validate" the alleged incident as sexual assault.
The woman said she texted the US filmmaker the following day telling him that she was upset with his behaviour during their encounter.
She said the actor apologised in a text message, in which he reportedly said he "misread things in the moment and I'm truly sorry".
In his statement, Ansari said he was "surprised and concerned" and confirmed he apologised to the woman after receiving her text message.
More from Hollywood Harassment
"I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said," he said.
"I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue."